• Information from experts.
  • Put into plain language.
  • Focused on action steps.
  • Tailored to your family.
image of a computer screen showing an Exceptionallives guide

As your child with a disability gets closer to adulthood, it’s time to start thinking about guardianship.

If your child needs help with decision-making as an adult, you’ll want to learn about the Massachusetts guardianship process. Guardianship means that another person, called the guardian, is appointed to make decisions on behalf of a person with a disability.

When your child turns 18 in this state, you no longer have the legal right to make decisions for your child. Yet people with disabilities sometimes need help with making choices in topics like:

Education, Insurance, Housing, Health Care, Managing money

But guardianship doesn’t have to be an all-or-nothing deal. If your family member needs help making decisions in some areas of life, but not others, there are a number of other options available. These include:

  • supported or shared decision-making
  • health care proxy
  • durable power of attorney
  • conservatorship
  • limited guardianship

The Guardianship Guide will help you:

Paula Standing next to list
icon of a piece of paper

See what your guardianship options are

icon indicating downloads available in app

Download the documents you’ll need to fill out

icon of a judicial balance

Know what questions to ask your lawyer (if you have one) or anyone else who is helping you

Like all our free Guides, the Exceptional Lives Guardianship Guide is written in plain, easy-to-understand language. Click the button below to get started!

The Exceptional Lives team is available to answer any questions you may have along the way. Give us a call at 1-844-354-1212 or send us an email at info@exceptionallives.org.

This guide will walk you through the guardianship process in Massachusetts. If you live in another state, you may still find this guide useful. Walking through this guide can give you an idea of what to think about as you look at your state’s guardianship process.