Home / Ask the Attorney / Ask the Attorney: “Where can my adult child live?”
Keys on a table with a wooden house keychain

Ask the Attorney: “Where can my adult child live?”

Planning for your adult child with disabilities involves thinking about how she or he can live their best full life in the community.  If your child needs both a place to live and daily support, they have options. We can’t tell you what is best for your child or exactly what options are available, but we can tell you what some of those options are.  Keep in mind that some of the names of these places might change based on where you live.


1.  Living with a family member – This is a familiar place with people you love. If you have a relative living with you, remember that you need to take care of yourself so you can help that relative in other ways.

2.  Their own apartment – Your state office or support organizations can help you or your child find their own place to live, maybe with roommates who have similar personalities and who enjoy similar activities.

3. Community home – This is a place where a small group of adults live together with support from qualified caregivers. The staff can help with daily needs, healthcare, transportation, and other activities.

4. Intermediate care facility or group home – This is typically a setting for people who have developmental or intellectual disabilities.

5. Nursing home or intensive care facility – This is a hospital-like facility that has 24-hour support from qualified staff, including nurses. This setting is common for older adults who have medical needs.


Visit the Exceptional Lives Resource Directory and search under “Adult Programs and Services” to find options near you in Massachusetts and Louisiana!

Previous Post
To medicate or not to medicate my child? A conversation I’ve had with myself
Next Post
But First, Sleep.

Related Posts

Balancing rocks on the beach with the sunset behind them

How to Keep it Together: A Guide

Little Girl Wondering About Something

The Power in Wondering

Woman holding a coffee mug while sitting at a table

To medicate or not to medicate my child? A conversation I’ve had with myself