In order to take good care of your child, you need to take care of yourself!
Caring for a child with autism can be a fulfilling experience. It can also be challenging and stressful. Caregivers and parents sometimes forget to take care of themselves as much as they do their children.
Here’s what you can do:
• Take a break when you need it
• Don’t drift away from your friends and community – they are usually there to help you out
• Reach out to others when you need help
• Look for counseling services if you need them. Some of your child’s service programs may include counseling and support for parents – just ask!
• Connect with support programs and other parents
Remember, you are not alone in this. Your child loves you, and so do your other children and your extended family. Together you can all support each other and offer each other a helping hand when needed.
Visit our Resource Directory! We have a whole section on Parent & Caregiver Support that includes:
• Child daycare
• Information and referral
• Parent training
• Parent and caregiver support groups
• Respite care
• Service coordination