There is a continuum of placement options available for your child. To recap, the spirit of the IDEA law is that the school places your child in the least restrictive environment (LRE), such as a classroom alongside children who do not have disabilities.
Free, easy-to-use resources.
Find the best benefits and services for
children and young adults with disabilities.
Exceptional Lives SSI Guide
SSI is Supplemental Security Income. It’s a monthly cash benefit for people with disabilities who have low income and few resources. It helps pay for basic needs like food, clothes and housing. This SSI Benefits Guide will show you:
- If your child or adult family member qualifies
- How to apply
- What other federal and state benefits you may qualify for
Stay tuned for upcoming Exceptional Lives Guides, which show you what to do and how to apply for benefits, services and support, including:
- What to Do When Your Child is Diagnosed with Autism
- Getting Special Education Services from the School System
- How to Get the Most from Health Insurance
- How to Support the Transition to Adulthood
- Employment: How to Prepare for Getting a Job